Friday, May 15, 2009

Croup

Benjamin woke up with a fever and some serious strider in the middle of the night. I immediately steamed up the bathroom and sat in there with him for 10 minutes. After no improvement, we went out into the cool night air. He was still very raspy, and I knew we would have to take him in for some epinephrine treatments at the hospital. After years of treating Marendy with stymptoms like this, I am pretty familiar with what will have to happen. Baylen rode with me, while Gary stayed home with the sleeping children. We went to our local hospital because it was so much closer (20 minutes away), and he was pretty bad. After several hours, x-rays, and breathing treatments, we were on our way back home, and he was a *little* better. We laid down for about an hour. I woke up to more crouping and called his Pediatrician. She said what I knew, he needed to go to the Children's Hospital. I handed out orders to the other kids from the steamy bathroom, while holding Benjamin. We were out the door in about 15-20 minutes. Gary was driving a little over the speed limit, and we ended up getting pulled over. I think this was actually a good thing because the police man called an ambulance for us, that took us all the way to the Children's Hospital. Benjamin was able to get oxygen the whole way there (over an hour) which eased my mind a great deal.


They admitted us overnight there. I was so thankful, because he needed several epinephrine treatments. All together I think he had 6-7. When Gary and the other kids went home, Brady stayed with Benjamin and I, to be a help. That night was pretty scary. Thankfully though, I know someone that's good to lean on. Someone that answers the prayers of worried Mamas during the night. Thank you again Lord. I was able to bring my baby home. The crouping is gone, and he is left with just a cold. We trying to get things back to normal now.



No comments:

Post a Comment